State Photo Contest Winners
Twelve photos shot by 10 Mount Si High School students received recognition May 3 at the Washington State High School Photography Competition 2014. Judges viewed 4,100 photos submitted from 70 different schools in 12 categories. First through six places were given, along with “Select Finalist” (top 5 percent within a category) and “Select” (top 15 percent within a category). Photo Gallery
Two Mount Si students’ photos earned Select Finalist honors, sophomore Connor Jensen for his abstract and sophomore Brendan Gregory for his architecture photo. Students whose photos received recognition in the Select category were: Jensen (landscape), senior Zach Tidwell (two portrait awards), senior Rachel Mallasch (camera phone), senior Andrew Zinkan (still-life) senior Kristin Moore (animal), senior Wil Sanctis (Color), senior Emmitt Rudd (abstract), freshman Scout Turner (architecture) and freshman Samantha Holmes (camera phone).
Our Varsity Sports Medicine Team took 12th place overall out of 44 schools.
- For our Anatomy & Physiology testing section: Hannah "Laikin" Jackson placed 10th and Baly Botten placed 26th out of 74 other students.
- For our CPR testing section: Gretchen Chase placed 4th and Erin McMeekin placed 13th out of 67 other students.
- For our medical terminology testing section: Elizabeth Prewitt placed 14th and Kelly McCracken took 20th place out of 73 other students.
- Our Varsity Sports Medicine competitors Nicole Stone, Leah Corra, Dane Whetsel, Morgan Treado, Angelina Belceto and Samantha Inman did very well individually and as a group took 12th place out of the 44 schools present.
- Our varsity team also had the 5th highest GPA with a combined 3.4309 and the team with the highest GPA is given an award at our state competition.
- For our JV competitors Logan Cochran placed 20th, Alex Nelson placed 35th and Jake Candelaria placed 50th out of 117 total competitors. They also competed in the JV quiz bowl and made it to the semifinals in the top 4.
- We also had Nicole Stone, Leah Corra, Elizabeth Prewitt and Zach Gappa who presented a forum on "Epilepsy and the Vagus Nerve Stimulator" where they presented to the 660 students in attendance. They did an excellent job and were 4th out of the 9 total presenters.
- We also had Morgan Treado and Angelina Belceto who created some amazing posters for our poster presentations that were displayed all weekend!
Please join us in Congratulating senior Hunter Abbott-Heutmaker for placing 3rd place in Washington State Skills USA Restaurant Service Competition and senior Danielle Clark for placing 3rd Place in Washington State skills Baking competition this past week-end. Kind
MSHS DECA had an exciting weekend at State DECA Competition and we have a team advancing to International Career Development Conference in Atlanta GA this Spring. Kaitlyn Gate and Jack Hunt will represent Washington State DECA in Business Law and Ethnics Team Decision Making Event, they placed 7th out of 70 teams! Made it by .5!!!! Adam Husa was award a semifinalist metal for Principles of Marketing Hotel and Lodging Management .
CSPAN Student Cam
Mount Si students Emmitt Rudd, Dean Sydnor, and Josh Helzerman earned an honorable mention in the 2014 CSPAN Student Cam competition.
Income Inequality: Dividing America (8:17 min)