The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) DO:
- Simply lay out what foundational skills our students should have mastered at each grade in order to be on track to graduate ready for college and career.
- Provides you, the parent, with a clearer picture of how prepared your child is for his or her next steps.
- Provides you and your child’s teacher an opportunity to make adjustments as needed to ensure there are no surprises down the road.:
- Not tell teachers how to teach nor are they a curriculum
This was a presentation given by the super intendant to the PTSA about Common Core to help parents get better acquainted with it: Common Core PPT
- Changes in learning for English/Language Arts and Mathematics
- Benchmarked against academic standards from the world’s top performing countries
- Aligned to College and Workplace expectations
- Focused on 21st Century skills