Title I and LAP (Learning Assistance Program)

  • Title and LAP programs provide qualifying students extra help in reading and math to improve their academic achievement. Our schools receive funding through two programs: one is federally funded, while the other is state funded. Both serve the same purpose… to provide extra support to help our students improve in reading and math to meet grade level benchmarks. A quick overview of Snoqualmie Valley School District's Title 1/LAP program is available in our  Title I/LAP brochure.

    Title I: Title I is a federally funded program for students struggling in basic skills such as reading and math. The level of funding received from the federal government determines the schools with Title I programs, and each site determines the skill areas to address for students. We have Targeted Assistance models in our schools, which means that just those who meet specific criteria are provided extra support through small group instruction, individual help, or specialized instruction.

    LAP (Learning Assistance Program): LAP is a state funded program for students struggling in basic skills such as reading and math. For 11th and 12th graders, LAP can provide support for students at risk of not graduating. The level of funding received from the state determines the schools with LAP programs, and each site determines the skill areas to address for students.

    Materials being used: Materials used in the TITLE I and LAP programs are consistent across all our schools and have been purchased by LAP and Title I funds.
    In reading, at our elementary schools with Title I or LAP funding, we use SIPPS (Systematic Instruction in Phonics and Phoneme Segmentation and Leveled Literacy Intervention, which have varied levels to meet the reading needs of the students. Our schedule consists of daily 30-minute instruction Monday through Thursday and assessments on Fridays.  Road to the Code is also used to teach basic letter naming sounds and early phonics reading skills to our Kindergarten students who are deficient in these areas.   Read Naturally  is another resource used to build reading fluency.  Progress is monitored through the use of the STAR Reading, DIBELS reading assessment, and the SIPPS  level assessments.

    In math, at elementary schools with Title I or LAP funding, we use the Bridges Intervention curriculum to provide instruction in 30-minute sessions, either in small groups or one-on-one.  Progress is measured using the STAR math assessment tool adopted by the district.

    For more information, see administrative policy 4130: Title I/LAP Parent Involvement.

    Notice to Parents of Students Receiving Title I Services

    Right to review teacher qualifications:  As a parent of a Title I student in the Snoqualmie Valley School District, you have the right to know the professional qualifications of the classroom teachers who instruct your child. Federal law allows you to ask for certain information about your child’s classroom teachers and requires us to give you this information in a timely manner if you ask for it. Specifically, you have the right to ask for the following information about each of your child’s classroom teachers:

    • Whether the state’s Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) has licensed or qualified the teacher for the grades and subjects he or she teaches.
    • Whether OSPI has decided that the teacher can teach in a classroom without being licensed or qualified under state regulations because of special circumstances.
    • The teacher’s college major; whether the teacher has any advanced degrees and, if so, the subject of the degrees.
    • Whether any instructional assistants provide instructional services to your child and, if they do, their qualifications.

    If you would like to receive any of this information, please call SVSD Human Resources, 425-831-8000.

    Complaints Related to Federal Programs: A citizen complaint is a written statement that alleges a violation of a federal rule, law or regulation or state regulation that applies to a federal program. Anyone can file a citizen complaint. There is no special form. There is no need to know the law that governs a federal program to file a complaint.
    To file a citizen complaint, visit the OSPI website at http://www.k12wa.us/TitleI/CitizenComplaint.aspx to learn more. Information is provided on steps to file a citizen complaint against:
    • a school district, educational service district (ESD), or other school service provider (subgrantee); and,
    • Washington State’s Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI).

    Executive Director
    Telephone: 425-831-8015
    Fax: 425-831-8040

    Associate Director of
    Equity and Categorical 
    Monica Phillips

    Rene Reynolds
    Executive Secretary

    Shannon Bustamante
  • LAP Schools

    Cascade View Elementary

    Timber Ridge Elementary

    Fall City Elementary


    Title I Targeted Assistance Schools

    North Bend Elementary

    Opstad Elementary

    Snoqualmie Elementary