The SVEA Bargaining Team:The 2015-16 SVEA Bargaining Team was comprised of (in alphabetical order):
The Bargaining Team met in Novemberto establish group norms.
- Lynn Bradwell, CKMS Teacher
- Jeff Hogan, Assistant Superintendent of Teaching and Learning
- Warren Hopkins, District Consultant
- Chris Jackson, MSHS Teacher
- Freedom Johnson, SVEA Consultant
- Tony Manjarrez, CKMS Teacher
- Lisa Radmer, NBES librarian and SVEA President
- Rhonda Schmidt, MSHS Assistant Principal
- Ryan Stokes, Assistant Superintendent of Finance and Operations
- Ray Wilson, CVES Principal
- Amy Wright, OES Principal
- Nate Ziemkowski, SES Teacher
- Plus, Jaime Siegel, PERC Facilitator
- June Bargaining Meeting Series #8:
June 23 (7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.) and June 24 (7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.)
- June Bargaining Meeting Series #7: June 14 (4:00-7:00 p.m.)
- June Bargaining Meeting Series #6:
June 1 (4:30-7:30 p.m.) and June 2 (7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.)
- May Bargaining Meeting Series #5:
May 10 (4:30-7:30 p.m.) and May 11 (7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.)
- April Bargaining Meeting Series #4:
April 26 (4:30-7:30 p.m.) and April 27 (7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.)
- March Bargaining Meeting Series #3:
March 22 (4:30-7:30 p.m.) and March 23 (7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.)
- March Bargaining Meeting Series #2:
March 1 (4:30-7:30 p.m.) and March 2 (7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.)
- February Bargaining Meeting Series #1:
February 9 (4:30-7:30 p.m.) and February 10 (7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.)
- January 19, 2016 (4:30-6 p.m.)
- November 17, 2015 (4-5:30 p.m.)
- October 6, 2015, (7:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.)
- May 10, 2015 (4:30-7:30 p.m.)
Bargaining Team Group Norms:Participants (6 members on each team):
- Each team leader decides if sufficient team members are present to meet and make decisions.
- Experts invited as guests as agreed upon and on the agenda.
- No alternates.
- Warren and Freedom are non-voting team members.
- Begin and end meetings on time.
- Lisa and Jeff determine meeting location.
- Coordinate food if meetings are during meal times and eat together.
- A draft agenda for the next meeting will be determined at the end of each meeting and made available to each team ahead of time.
- Establish meeting dates ahead of time.
- District will notify SVEA when FY 2014-2015 financials are available.
- Establish comparables and conduct joint compensation analysis prior to start of bargaining.
- Non-monetary issues to be discussed at the first bargaining meeting.
- Establish benchmark dates- attempt to bring all issues to the table by March 31st unless agreed upon through decision making process.
- Decisions made by using the “thumbs” consensus model.
- Thumbs sideways or down given the opportunity to explain their reservations.
- 75% of thumbs up needed to approve a decision.
- Any agreed upon joint communications will list all bargaining team members. Intent is to provide regular update.
- A summary of each meeting is generated that includes: Attendees, length of meeting, decisions made, topics discussed, responsibilities for the next meeting and future dates.
- Summary to be e-mailed to bargaining team prior to the next meeting and reviewed at the beginning of each meeting and corrections made as needed.
- Responsibility for meeting summaries rotated between groups.
- When communicating with external constituents, team refrains from inflammatory remarks/statements that might negatively impact future bargaining sessions.
- Respect/protect identity of individual team member's opinions.
- After a tentative agreement is made, draft language should be presented at the next bargaining meeting. Prior to ratification contract language should be finalized.
- Commit to looking at issues with an open mind.
- Parties will be open and honest with each other and if there is disagreement, share at that time.
- Avoid caucuses at the beginning of meetings, come prepared.
- Be present and engaged during meetings.
- Avoid "Us" vs. "Them".
- Avoid using mobile devices during discussions.
- Demonstrate respect by listening when others are speaking, not interrupting and not engaging in side conversations.
- Process checks and timeouts can be called by anyone.
- Group Norms can be modified if necessary.
- Pre-determined observers (example: a School Board member) may sit in on meetings.
- When a decision has been made the actual contract language will be jointly drafted by bargaining team or a sub-committee.
- Utilize PERC facilitators for the first few sessions. Either side can request PERC facilitators to return for future meeting.
- Try to avoid gaps larger than two weeks between bargaining sessions.
- Attempt to prioritize important issues so that there is adequate time to work on a solution.
- Try to schedule meetings in blocks of time,i.e. an afternoon/evening meeting followed by a full-day meeting.
- If the process breaks down, the parties may agree to return to the “traditional” bargaining model.