Interpretation Services and Translation
Para traducir esta página, haga clic en la pestaña 'Translate' en la esquina superior derecha de esta página.
Для того, чтобы перевести эту страницу, нажмите на вкладке «Translate» в правом верхнем углу этой страницы.
اس صفحہ کا ترجمہ کرنے کے لئے، اس صفحے کے اوپری دائیں کونے میں 'مترجم' کے ٹیب پر کلک کریں.
You are an important part of your child’s education. The Snoqualmie Valley School District provides limited English proficient parents with information, in their own language, so they can make informed decisions about their children's education. This includes interpretation and translation services for vital meetings and communications. If you receive information that is not in your language, please let the school know you would like it translated in writing or explained orally to you in your language. For further assistance with translation or interpretation services please contact Monica Phillips, Director of Equity & Categorical Services, or email us at email@example.com.
When is translation and interpretation required?
School districts in Washington State are required by law to provide translated materials for their non-English speaking families in languages that exceed 5% of their student population. While the Snoqualmie Valley School District does not have a language group that reaches the 5% threshold, most of our non-English speaking families speak Spanish, Russian, and Urdu. At this time, the District is working to translate non-school-specific documents that are common across all schools or a particular grade level into these three languages.
For those languages in which we do not have translations, we are to make a sincere effort to provide communication in the home language. In the SVSD:
- The Communication Department is responsible for translation services intended for District-wide distribution.
- The ELL Department is responsible for interpretation and translation services provided for program-related communications to ELL students and families.
- The Special Education department is responsible for interpretation services at IEP meetings.
- Schools are responsible for interpretation and translation services intended for announcements or forms created by an individual building or staff member.
How does the Snoqualmie Valley School District meet these needs?
To provide our students, staff, and families the best support in education, Snoqualmie Valley School District provides translation and interpreting services at no cost to our students, parents/guardians, and staff. You may request an interpreter to help you communicate either over the phone or during face-to-face conferences. The interpreter can be requested by a parent or by an SVSD staff member. To make arrangements, please contact your child’s teacher or school office secretary, and submit an Interpreter Request Form to the school office administrative assistant.
Additional Traslation & Interpretation Service Options
- TalkingPoints is a free messaging app with translation. The SVSD, its schools, and teachers use TalkingPoints to communicate with parents/ families through a mobile app or text messages in their home language.
- Website translation:
- The SVSD has a Translate tab at the very top of our webpages. This tab accesses Google Translate to convert our website copy into any language selected.
- Computer-based translation tools:
- Microsoft Translator for Education. This is a free app that can be used on Android, iOS, Windows desktop.: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/translator/education/
- Google Translate, http://translate.google.com. Google Translate is a “Free” automatic translator, that works without the intervention of human translators, using state-of-the-art technology instead. While Google translate gives the general idea, it is not grammatically perfect. If you choose to use this service, please add a disclaimer, “Translated by Google service, http://translate.google.com” to your translated document.
- Telephonic Interpretation through Language Line:
- Please contact your school secretary for this type of interpretation requests
- Skyward Family Access Spanish Resources
- Skyward Family Access translation:
- Open Google Chrome web browser
- Go to Skyward Family Access.
- Right, Click on an empty space in the page and select Translate to English. (image 1)
- This will give you an error since the page is already in English. Select the Options button to change the translation language. The example below shows Spanish as the selected language. Click the Translate button. (image 2)
- Next log into Skyward Family Access. The new windows will be in English, but you can change it easily by right-clicking a blank area of the screen and selecting“Translate to (your language)” Your language is the one you selected previously. (image 3)
- Families can access Skyward in their heritage language, using Google Translator. To turn on translation in Google Chrome for Skyward use: