Recess / Gym Expectations
Update: The new AM/PM schedule for K-5 elementary schools (that goes into effect on January 19, 2021) does not have time designated for recess during students' limited hours of in-person instruction. There will be an opportunity for students attending in person to take a brief mask break outside, while allowing a healthy distance between students. Physical Education (PE) classes will be taught remotely during asychronous learning time.
Later, safety precautions could include:
- Masks are expected to be worn during recess and students should bring an extra mask to school in their backpack in case one gets wet.
- Students will be encouraged to maintain physical distancing while playing.
- Recess scheduling and structuring has been done to support physical distancing and limit missing of cohorts.
- Students will wash/sanitize their hands before and after recess.
- On days of inclement weather, recess may involve “taking a break” activities in their classrooms, or small groups may take turns using the gymnasium if available.
- Elementary: To limit the potential for COVID-19 transmission, PE classes will be taught remotely on asynchronous learning days, or may be held in regular classrooms with modified activities.
- Secondary: Gymnasiums will be utilized in a modified manner to accommodate PE classes and will be cleaned and disinfected regularly.
- Social distancing and safety guidelines for physical education classes will be observed at all times.