COVID-19 Experiencing Symptoms Guidance
The most common COVID-19 symptoms per Washington State Department of Health:
- Fever (100.4 F) or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Unusual fatigue
- Muscle or body aches
- Recent loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
For ill persons without known exposure to a confirmed COVID-19 case who are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms:
- If testing of COVID-19 is not performed, stay home for 24 hours after the fever has resolved (without the use of medications) and symptoms have improved, AND until 10 days have passed since symptoms first showed up.
- If testing for COVID-19 is negative, stay home for 24 hours after the fever has resolved (without the use of medications) and symptoms improve. Parents/guardians/students: Provide a copy of the negative test from your healthcare provider to the school nurse.
Ill persons with known exposure to a person with confirmed COVID-19:
- Should be tested for COVID-19, AND
- Stay home (out of school) until at least 10 days after symptom onset, AND
- At least 24 hours after fever has resolved (without use of medication) and symptoms have improved.
- (People with severe disease or immunocompromised may need to be isolated at home for longer.)
Stay home until 14 days after being in contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case, AND
- 24 hours after the fever has resolved (without the use of medications) and symptoms have improved, AND
- 10 days have passed since symptoms first showed up.
- People who are ill AND had known exposure to COVID-19 should contact (call) their healthcare provider and seek testing.
If you are sick, please stay home.
- Notify the school through the attendance line and expect a call from the school nurse about when your student would be cleared to return to school.
- If you have questions, please contact your school nurse.
- If you are out of school sick and end up testing positive for COVID-19, please notify the school right away.
- When in doubt, remain home until you have been cleared to return to school.