World-Language Competency Testing Resources
Language & Assessment List
- If you do not see a language in our Language & Assessment List, please contact the SVSD District Office to find an appropriate language assessment.
- Click Language & Assessment List to determine which test SVSD administers for each language.
Use the links below to access sample tests or questions. Use the Language & Assessment List to determine which assessment will be given.
- Avant STAMP 4S & Avant STAMP WS: https://avantassessment.com/sample-tests.
- Alta: https://www.altalang.com/language-testing/preparing-for-your-test/
World Language Assessment Proficiency Levels & High School Credits Awarded
Language Competency Level
Based on Proficiency Testing
High School World Language
Intermediate Mid (& above)
SVSD Seal of Biliteracy & World Language Competency Crediting
STAMP 4S & WS Scoring & Rubric Guide - Visit STAMP's webpage for an outline of test scoring and a rubric. We will assess most, but not all, students using STAMP 4S. Criteria vary across assessments, but this provides a general idea of the criteria used to assess student proficiency.
Comparison Between ACTFL, CEFR & ILR - This document allows families who are familiar with the European assessment system to compare Washington State World Language competency testing to European assessments.
Resources For Teaching Children A Home Language
There are many resources for families that also encourage teaching children to read and write in their home language. We have gathered a few below for families with children of all ages.
Talk, Read, and Sing Together Every Day! Tips for Using Language at Home and in the Community from the US Department of Health and Human Services and Department of Education, provides an overview of the benefits of bilingualism and tips for parents. Benefits include improved thinking skills, social-emotional health, learning, and long-term success.
Raising multilingual and bilingual children, supported by the Australian Government Department of Social Services, reviews two main models for raising bilingual and multilingual children and includes tips for families teaching children a home language.
- Resources for secondary students - Page 3 of this document from AAPPL provides additional tips and resources for parents and students.