The Snoqualmie Valley School District provides multilingual learner students with powerful learning experiences that stress complex, engaging activities and direct teaching of the English language. Language and skill development is accelerated, so students can meet high standards in ALL academic areas.
To support English language development, the Snoqualmie Valley School District utilizes a content-based Supportive Mainstream instructional model. This is an approach for teaching multilingual learners using specific strategies to make academic subjects comprehensible and accessible while promoting the students’ English language development. This English language support is received by all multilingual learner students in their classroom, through individual or small group instruction, as needed. Some specific instructional models implemented in Snoqualmie Valley schools are SIOP, and Be GLAD.
ACCESSIBLE CONTENT: Teachers use instructional strategies to make grade-level standards and content accessible to all students, regardless of their proficiency.
- LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENT: Teachers review progress and provide targeted instruction to support students’ individual language needs.
- PEER INTERACTION: Teachers plan and implement structures for frequent peer interaction to develop students’ oral language and literacy skills.
- LANGUAGE CONNECTIONS: Teachers engage students in intentional opportunities to make connections between English and other languages.
Snoqualmie Valley School District Program Overview Brochures
You are an important part of your child's education. The Snoqualmie Valley School District (SVSD) works to provide support to staff in the areas of communication, translation and cultural competency. This work supports efforts in every school to engage all students and families. The SVSD has added ParentSquare as its communication tool to foster two-way communication.
Translation and Interpretation Services
The Snoqualmie Valley School District provides limited English proficient parents with information in their own language so that they can make informed decisions about their children's education. This includes providing interpretation and translation services for vital meetings and communications. You may request an interpreter to help you communicate either over the phone or during face-to-face conferences. The interpreter can be requested by a parent or by an SVSD staff member. If you are a staff member, please talk to your school office secretary about the procedure. If you are a parent, please let your child's teacher know if you would like to use an interpreter, and s/he will make arrangements. For further assistance, please email email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
How are students identified for ML services?
All students who enroll with a school in Washington state are asked to fill out a Home Language Survey that identifies their primary language. When a student has identified a language other than English as their first language, they will be given a state-approved language proficiency placement test within ten days of their enrollment to determine qualification of ML program. Upon completion of the screener, parents or guardians are notified in writing whether or not their student qualifies for ML services.
How long do students stay in ML services?
Students that qualify for ML services take an annual assessment of their English skills. They continue to qualify for ML services until they reach a high level of English proficiency. The length of time to gain proficiency is unique to each child, but typically within a 5 year period.
How are students assessed?
All schools in Washington State have transitioned to the WIDA ACCESS for ELLs starting in the 2021-22 school year. This is an assessment that measures English Learners' command and mastery of the rigorous academic standards in the domains of reading, writing, listening, and speaking.
How often will students be tested?
All ML students will take the state-adopted annual English proficiency assessment each year. Scores are sent home from the district office after testing results are received from OSPI.
How do students qualify for ML services?
Students must meet eligibility requirements to qualify for ML services. Students qualify for ML services until they reach a high level of English skills, not only in speaking and listening but also in reading and writing. Eligibility is determined by the English Language Proficiency Assessment (WIDA).
If a student qualifies for ML services, what kind of services will they receive?
Qualified students will receive services in their home school by EL-endorsed teachers with the support of ML Instructional Assistants.
What are the benefits of ML program participation?
- ML staff knows each student well. They act as the student's advocate, monitoring progress and helping in communication with teachers to provide appropriate accommodations in class assignments and tests.
- ML students can receive additional accommodations during state testing (SBAC,WCAS) such as text-to-text speech, partial translation, and/or administration by ML staff in a small group setting. * Students who have been in U.S. schools for less than a year can opt out of taking English language arts section of the SBAC.
- Students in grades 6-12 have the Pass/No Grade option in more than one class.
What are the standards for Multilingual Learners?
Multilingual Learners are taught and assessed on their grade level Common Core State Standards in Language Arts, Math, Science, and other content areas. There are also English Language Proficiency Standards that are used by ML specialists and other teachers to understand what students at different levels of English proficiency should be able to do.
- Speaking Your Language: Celebrating the Power of Bilingualism
- Washington State OSPI - Migrant and Bilingual Education
- Translating Webpages, Emails, Documents, Schoology & Family Access
- Traducción de Páginas Web, Correos Electrónicos, Documentos, Schoology y Family Access
- Перевод веб-страниц, электронной почты, документов, школьного обучения и семейного доступа
- ویب صفحات ، ای میلز ، دستاویزات ، اسکولجوی اور خاندانی رسائی کا ترجمہ