Parents, Staff, Students Selected to Observe Superintendent Interviews
Updated May 14, 2018
During the May 10 School Board meeting, the Snoqualmie Valley Board of Directors randomly selected five parent volunteers and two alternates, from a lottery drawing, to observe first-round interviews of superintendent candidates. Along with the parent volunteers, 11 others have been selected by stakeholder groups representing teachers, support staff, secretaries, principals, district administration, PTSA, and students. The first round of interviews will take place Monday, May 21, and Tuesday, May 22. Candidates will be interviewed by the School Board, and observers may provide written feedback.
The parents selected are (alphabetically): Stephen Kangas, Sinead Mettler, Doreen Moore, Mandi Smith, and Janell Wickersham, with alternates Rene Price (1st), Chris Alef (2nd). Other participants will include: Nate Ziemkowski (teacher, SVEA), Michelle Pearlstein (secretary, SVASA), Karen Ann Wilder (bus driver, PSE), Greg Hart and John Norberg (principals), Kim Roeber (district office administrative assistant), Dan Schlotfeldt and Ryan Stokes (district administrators), Corrine Alef (PTSA Council), Mallory Golic and Chirag Vedullapalli (students).
On May 29, finalists will be invited back for interviews with the School Board, and will meet with district administration, principals and assistant principals. All staff, students and community members are invited to Town Hall meetings from 4-6:30 p.m. at Snoqualmie Fire Station. Attendees will have a chance to meet the finalists, submit questions for the candidates to address, and provide written feedback for the School Board to consider. Later that evening, during a School Board special meeting, starting at 7:30 p.m. at the District Office, the Board plans to take action to name the next superintendent.
Interested candidates: Please click on the image below for details regarding the Snoqualmie Valley School District Superintendent position and instructions on how to apply directly to Ray & Associates. This job posting closed May 9, 2018.
This job posting was posted April 4 - May 9, 2018.
Search Process Update on Interview Process
Posted April 25 and updated May 1. With help from the educational search firm Ray and Associates, the School Board defined additional steps in the interview process at a work session on April 19.
Community Engagement: In addition to the Superintendent Search Survey, which helped define the key candidate characteristics for the job posting, there will be two more opportunities for parents, students, staff and community members to provide input into this important decision. The following activities provide an opportunity for participants to provide feedback to the School Board regarding the top candidates, prior to the Board making the final hiring decision.
- Observing First Round Interviews on May 21 and May 22. A group of 16 individuals, representing staff, parents, and students, will have the opportunity to observe first-round interviews and submit written feedback to the Board. The observers will be present during the interviews only, not during Board debriefs or discussions. They will also be asked to sign confidentiality agreements and not disclose any information regarding the interviews or the applicants. Following each interview, the observers may provide written feedback to the Board as to how well the candidates match the desired qualities defined for the next SVSD superintendent. (Click here for the Observer Guidelines.)
The observer group will be comprised as follows:
- Eight staff observers will be selected by the following staff groups: SVEA, SVASA, PSE, Administrative Cabinet, principals, and district office administrative assistants.
- Six parent observers will include one PTSA representative (selected by the PTSAs) and five parent observers (selected through a lottery drawing from those who apply). See lottery details below to sign up by May 9.
- Two student observers will be determined by the student representatives to the School Board.
2. Town Hall Meetings on May 29. The public is invited to meet the top candidates, and hear them speak and answer questions during open Town Hall meetings, from 4 - 6:30 p.m. at the Snoqualmie Fire Station. Feedback forms will be available to share feedback with the School Board.
Continued Timeline for Selecting SVSD Superintendent:
- April 25 - May 9 – Parent lottery for observing interviews (see details below)
- May 10 – Draw parent names from lottery participants, during the regular School Board meeting, to finalize the list of 16 individuals who will observe interviews. Regular School Board meetings typically start at 6:30 p.m. at Snoqualmie City Hall.
- May 15 – School Board executive session with Ray & Associates to review applications and evaluate merits of candidates for first-round interviews, 12 - 6 p.m.; location: Snoqualmie Fire Station
- May 21 – Executive session to interview candidates (first-round interviews with selected observers), 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.; location: Atrium Meeting Room, Salish Lodge
- May 22 – Executive session to interview candidates (first-round interviews with selected observers) and evaluate merits of candidates for final interviews, 8 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.; location: Atrium Meeting Room, Salish Lodge
- May 23 – Post announcement of finalist superintendent candidates selected for second-round interviews
- May 29 –
- School Board executive session 9 a.m. - 7:30 p.m. (finalist interviews 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., discussion 3 - 6 p.m., review public feedback from Town Hall meetings and evaluate merits of candidates 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.); location: District Office Conference Room
- Town Hall meetings, 4 - 6:30 p.m. at the Snoqualmie Fire Station. The public is invited to meet finalists and provide feedback to the Board.
- Special School Board meeting for School Board action to select superintendent, 7:30 - 8:30 p.m.; location: District Office Board Room
- May 30 – Post announcement of superintendent choice
NOTE: Executive sessions are not open to the public, as defined by law.
Parents: Are you interested in applying for the lottery?
Five parents (plus three parent alternates) will be selected through a lottery process for the opportunity to observe the first-round superintendent interviews and provide written feedback to the School Board. Please click here to fully understand the observer requirements and commitment of participation. If you agree to these guidelines, are available both May 21 and May 22 from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., and would like to participate, please sign up for the lottery as follows:
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Parent Observer Lottery. In the body of the message, please confirm your interest in participation and include your name, email address, phone number, and schools your students attend. Submissions are due before Wednesday, May 9, at 4 p.m.
Search Process Update following the April 3 School Board Meeting
Posted April 4, 2018: Consultants from Ray and Associates presented the results of the community survey and stakeholder meetings, to help identify the key attributes that will be defined in the job posting. They also presented a draft of the posting, which the Board reviewed and agreed on a couple edits to be incorporated in the final version (posted above). The posting will be open April 4 – May 9.
Below are resources that Ray & Associates shared during the Board meeting, regarding community feedback and a revised timeline showing next steps.
- Revised Search Process Timeline
- Summary of Survey Feedback by Category (9 pages)
- Superintendent Search Survey Comments (37 pages)
SVSD Superintendent Search Process and Community Survey