Early Entrance to Kindergarten
The Snoqualmie Valley School District (SVSD) acknowledges some students may be exceptionally advanced in terms of intelligence, academic and other necessary skills to be successful in school. We encourage young minds to develop in engaging, stimulating, and supportive environments when circumstances are appropriate for those families seeking early entrance to Kindergarten.
- The student must be born on or before December 31st of the desired academic year you are requesting early entrance. For Example: for the 2022- 2023 school year the student must be 5 on or by 12/31/2022.
- Parents/Guardians must complete and submit the Early Entrance to Kindergarten Nomination Form prior to the current year deadline.
- Parents/Guardian must attend their neighborhood schools Kindergarten Orientation held in March.
- Students will be required to participate in the kindergarten screening assessment during the neighborhood school’s testing dates in May.
- Participation of legal parent/guardian in the early Kindergarten Entrance Informational Presentation offered by the school district. This presentation occurs in early to mid-spring prior to the year of sought enrollment.
- A comprehensive evaluation of your child's skills and abilities must be completed which demonstrates the child has "high average" performance and maturity at the 5-year, 6-month age level equivalent in the following areas: cognitive, academic, social/adaptive, and adaptive skills. The specific criteria are as follows:
- A standard score of 115 (or above) is required on the cognitive assessment for each cognitive area (Verbal, Nonverbal, Spatial)
- 5-year, 6-month age equivalents in areas of social, adaptive, and academic skill.
- Meet second trimester goals on kindergarten screening tools
- Recommendation based on observation of the examiner
- In a sealed and signed envelope, or an email directly from the preschool, please send letters of recommendation addressed to Early Kindergarten Entrance Committee ℅ Rene Reynolds. Parents may bring these letters in personally as long as they remain sealed and signed by the teacher.
- Academic skills (if applicable)
- Ability to participate in group activities
- Getting along with others (parents, teachers and peers)
- Following directions
- Identifying and regulating one’s emotions and behavior
- Thinking of appropriate solutions to conflict
- Persisting on tasks
- Engaging in social conversation and cooperative play
- Self-confidence and self-efficacy skills
- Submission of a parenting plan outlining how the child will be supported at home and academically in the early entrance kindergarten program. The plan may include how much formal time is set aside for study at home, access to other resources and enrichment, how issues with current friendships and adjusting to a new peer group will be addressed at home, etc.
An evaluation can occur by: Parents may seek an evaluation provided by a private evaluator at their own expense. SVSD offers a list of outside evaluators you may choose from to complete the evaluation if you cannot locate oneon your own. The private evaluator will need to and sign complete a brief report outlining assessment scores and observations during testing (Documented scores with percentile rankings and age-equivalents if applicable, and a written narrative or bulleted list of observed behaviors; request Private Evaluator Guidelines) and use the evaluation checklist to guide any evaluations necessary to help SVSD determine early kindergarten placement. SVSD offers a fee-based evaluation paid by parents at time of evaluation ($400.00) and given by one of our school psychologists occurring in June prior to the academic year you are seeking early enrollment. This testing typically occurs over a two-day period and is limited to a first come, first served basis. Please contact the Student Services Department at 425.831.8015 for appointment availability and fee inquiries. If you are seeking early kindergarten entrance you MUST have your child attend the kindergarten screening event at your home school. (See Early Entrance Timeline.) This is a necessary step in determining the next steps of eligibility for early kindergarten entrance, regardless of whether you seek testing through SVSD or private evaluator. Admission
- Application is considered complete when all documents and assessments are received by Student Services Department
- Early Entrance Committee will convene to review data and provide recommendations
- Parent/Guardian will be notified of the committee’s recommendation the following week
- Parent/Guardian will be required to complete the online registration process.
- We ask that you do not register your child until you have heard from the Early Entrance Committee
Please note: If the student is recommended for early entrance, they will be invited for a six week trial period of kindergarten beginning at the start of the school year. This invitation may be rescinded if the student is deemed by their school team to be unable to keep up with classroom demands and/or typical kindergarten behavioral expectations.
*All early entrance considerations will be granted without discrimination as provided by the provisions of WAC 180-40-215(1).
Testing for the 2021-2022 school year is closed.
Nomination forms and the submission Tineline for the
2022-2023 school year will be posted soon!
Please check back.
BellevueDr. B. Jones: (425) 455-2938Dr. S. Katz: (425) 688-7675
IssaquahIssaquah Psychological Associates
1740 NW Maple St. Ste 210
Issaquah WA 98027
(425) 427-2477 FAX
SnoqualmieSnoqualmie Psychological Associates
8226 Bracken Pl. SE Ste 200
Snoqualmie, WA 98065