Dr. Lance Gibbon Named the Next SVSD Superintendent
Welcome to the Snoqualmie Valley!
Update on March 31, 2021
The School Board has extended an offer to Dr. Lance W. Gibbon, Ed.D. to be the next Snoqualmie Valley School District Superintendent. After a robust national search and in-depth interview process, Dr. Gibbon emerged as the top choice to lead our school district, starting July 1, 2021.
“We want to thank all the staff, parents, employee groups, students, partners and community members who participated in the superintendent search process. We appreciate everyone who took time to participate in the process, to submit questions, and provide feedback following the administrative forums and town meetings. Your input was very valuable to the Board in making its decision,” said School Board President Melissa Johnson.
Earlier today, March 31, two finalist candidates were invited for a second interview with the School Board in executive session, an administrative forum, and a community Town Meeting, before the Board made the final hiring decision. At a special School Board meeting this evening, the Board voted publicly, and unanimously, to extend the offer to Dr. Gibbon.
Dr. Gibbon is currently superintendent of the Oak Harbor School District in Washington State. For more information, please read his biography.
“We look forward to welcoming Dr. Gibbon to the Snoqualmie Valley. His experience, energy, and collaborative leadership style is the right fit to be our next superintendent. The Board has no doubt that he is the right person to work with our incredible district leadership team and staff, students and families, to continue progress toward our vision of being the best district in Washington State. With a focus on relationships and ensuring our schools support the whole child, we are confident Dr. Gibbon will continue to build upon our mission of educating every student for college, career, and citizenship,” added Johnson.
The next step in the process is to finalize an employment contract between the Board and Dr. Gibbon. The Board will provide an update at its next regular meeting on April 22.
Dr. Gibbon will replace Superintendent Dr. Robert W. Manahan, who plans to retire this summer.
Two Finalist Candidates Selected in SVSD Superintendent Search
Mark your calendar for an opportunity to meet the finalists on Wednesday, March 31.
Update as of March 26, 2021
The Snoqualmie Valley School District Board of Directors interviewed six semifinalists in the Superintendent Search process, on Monday and Tuesday this week, March 23 and March 25. During these first-round interviews, a panel of 16 observers watched the interviews and provided written feedback for the Board to consider.
As a result, the Board has selected the following two finalists to advance in the process. Listed alphabetically, click on their names for a photo and biography of each candidate:
- Lance W. Gibbon, Ed.D. – Superintendent of Oak Harbor Public Schools, Washington
- Peter Scott, Ed.D. – Deputy Superintendent of Everett Public Schools, Washington
- The finalists have been invited for a second round of interviews with the School Board, next Wednesday, March 31. These interviews will take place in executive session via video conferencing.
- Additionally on March 31, SVSD administrators, principals and assistant principals will also have an opportunity to meet and pose questions to both finalists during virtual Administrative Forums (10-11 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.). Administrators will receive an invitation to participate, with links to the meetings and feedback form.
- Meet the candidates: The public, staff and students are invited to meet the finalists during a virtual Town Hall meeting on March 31, from 3:15 – 5:15 p.m. Attendees will have a chance to submit questions in advance for the candidates to address, to listen to their answers via video, and provide written feedback for the School Board to consider after the events. (The first candidate is scheduled 3:30-4:15 p.m. and the second candidate is scheduled 4:30-5:15 p.m.)
- If you have questions you would like to be asked of both candidates at the Town Hall meeting, please submit your questions here by Monday, March 29 at 5 p.m.
- To join the March 31 Town Hall meeting via a zoom webinar format, please connect as follows. (Use this one link to meet both candidates.)
When: Mar 31, 2021 03:15 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Topic: Superintendent Candidate Town Halls
Please click the link below to join the webinar: https://svsd410.zoom.us/j/89021781935
Or One tap mobile: US: +12063379723,,89021781935# or +12133388477,,89021781935#
Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 206 337 9723 or +1 213 338 8477
Webinar ID: 890 2178 1935
International numbers available: https://svsd410.zoom.us/u/kDNIEWstB
- Attendees at the Town Hall meeting will also have an opportunity to submit their feedback. After meeting the candidates, share your feedback here. (NOTE: This survey will close at 5:30 p.m. to give the Board time to review all comments before making their decision.)
- Later that same evening, the School Board plans to take action to name the next superintendent for the Snoqualmie Valley School District, in a public announcement, during a special School Board meeting, starting at 7 p.m. To join the special School Board meeting at 7 p.m., connect as follows:
- When: Mar 31, 2021 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Topic: School Board Special Meeting
From a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device, click this URL to join:
Or One tap mobile: +12063379723,,88464741669# US (Seattle) or +12133388477,,88464741669# US (Los Angeles)
Or join by phone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 206 337 9723 or +1 213 338 8477
Webinar ID: 884 6474 1669
International numbers available: https://svsd410.zoom.us/u/kb4zkbUHp5
- When: Mar 31, 2021 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
The announcement of the new superintendent will be posted on the district website and shared with the community the following day, Thursday, April 1.
"Hiring a superintendent to lead our school district is the most important job of our School Board. The Board was extremely impressed with the quantity of applicants for this opportunity, and the quality of the semifinalists we interviewed this week. We want to thank the observers to this process for their time and valuable feedback. We look forward to continuing our conversations with the finalists on March 31, and considering the feedback from others who meet them at the virtual Town Meetings and Administrative Forums,” said School Board President Melissa Johnson.
Parents, Staff Selected to Observe Superintendent Interviews
Next steps in hiring process: First round of interviews begin March 23, 25…
Update posted March 19, 2021
During the March 11 School Board meeting, the Snoqualmie Valley Board of Directors randomly selected five parent volunteers and two alternates, from a lottery drawing of those who submitted their names for consideration, to observe first-round interviews of superintendent candidates. Along with the parent volunteers, 11 others have been selected by their stakeholder groups to represent teachers, support staff, secretaries, principals, district administration, PTSA, and students.
The first round of interviews will take place Tuesday, March 23, and Thursday, March 25. Candidates will be interviewed by the School Board, and observers may provide written feedback.
The parents selected are (alphabetically): Anna Bellersen Lee, Kristin O’Riordan, Rene Price, Erin Treiber, Janelle Wickersham, with alternates Liz Schomber (1st) and Amy Jones (2nd). Other participants will include: Nate Ziemkowski (teacher, SVEA); Karen Seiser (secretary, SVASA); Karen Ann Davis (bus driver, PSE); Greg Forrest and Stephanie Shepherd (principals); Ginger Callison, Dan Schlotfeldt and Ryan Stokes (assistant superintendents); Linda Grez (PTSA Council); Emma Cullen and Garner Brown (students).
Finalists will then be invited back for a second round of interviews with the School Board the following week, along with opportunities to tour our district and meet our learning community.
Mark your calendar: On Wednesday, March 31, district administration and school principals will have an opportunity to meet the finalists during Administrative Forums. Also, Town Hall meetings the same day will offer staff, students and community members a chance to meet the top contenders. Attendees to both opportunities will have a chance to submit questions for the candidates to address, and provide feedback for the School Board to consider prior to making the hiring decision. More details regarding these events will be confirmed next week.
Prior to Spring Break, the School Board plans to host a special meeting to take action publicly to name the next superintendent.
Superintendent Selection Process & Opportunity to Observe Interviews
Parents: Do you want to observe first-round interviews? Submit your name for lottery selection by March 11…
Posted March 5, 2021
Thanks to all who participated in the Community/Staff Survey from January 27- February 8, to help define the key characteristics for an ideal superintendent candidate for our district. The position closed this week, March 1, and our consultants from Ray and Associates are now screening viable applicants to present to the School Board. This is an update on next steps in the selection process and information on how stakeholders can participate in observing first-round interviews.
Observing First Round Interviews on March 23 and March 25:
While our School Board will be conducting the candidate interviews, there is an opportunity for stakeholders to contribute to this important selection process and the Board’s ultimate hiring decision. A group of 16 individuals, representing staff, parents, and students, will be able to observe first-round interviews and submit written feedback to the Board. The observers will be present during the interviews only, not during Board debriefs or discussions. They will also be asked to sign confidentiality agreements and not disclose any information regarding the interviews or the applicants (to respect the applicant’s privacy).
Following each interview, the observers may provide written feedback to the Board as to how well the candidates match the desired qualities defined for the next SVSD superintendent. (Click here for the observer guidelines.) The observer group will be comprised of:
- 8 staff observers, selected by the following staff groups: SVEA, SVASA, PSE, assistant superintendents, and principals;
- 2 student observers determined by the student representatives to the School Board;
- 6 parent observers: 1 PTSA representative (selected by the PTSAs), plus 5 parent observers (selected through a lottery drawing).
Parents: Are you interested in applying for the lottery?
If you would like to be one of the five parents (and two parent alternates) selected to observe the first-round superintendent interviews and provide written feedback to the School Board, please click here to fully understand the observer requirements and commitment of participation. If you agree to these guidelines, are available both March 23 and March 25 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and would like to participate, please submit your name for the lottery as follows:
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject: Parent Observer Lottery. In the body of the message, please confirm your interest in participation and include your name, email address, phone number, and schools your students attend. Submissions are due before 3 p.m. on Thursday, March 11.
Continued Timeline for Selecting SVSD Superintendent:
- March 5 – Key stakeholder groups were invited to select representatives to participate in the group of 16 Observers for first-round interviews (including employee associations, administrators, staff, students, parents)
- March 5-11 – Interested parents can submit their name to be included in the public lottery drawing to select interview observers. (See details below.)
- March 11 – During the regular School Board meeting, the Board will draw names among parents who submitted their interest to select five parent observers and two alternates.
- March 18 – School Board Executive session with Ray & Associates to review applications and evaluate merits of candidates for first-round interviews.
- March 23 – Executive sessions to interview candidates (first-round interviews with selected observers), 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- March 25 –
- Executive session to interview candidates (first-round interviews with selected observers), 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- School Board regular meeting, 5 p.m.
- Week of March 29 –
- Executive sessions for finalist interviews.
- Administrative forums (principals/administrators to meet finalists and provide feedback to the Board). Format to be determined.
- Town Hall meetings (public/staff to meet finalists via zoom and provide feedback to the Board). These sessions will be recorded and posted.
- Executive session to review feedback from Administrative forums/Town Hall meetings and evaluate merits of candidates
- Special meeting for School Board to select superintendent
- April – Post announcement of superintendent choice
NOTE: Executive sessions are not open to the public, as defined by law.
Welcome to the Snoqualmie Valley School District and thank you for your interest in the superintendent position for next year. The job posting for the position closed March 1, 2021. Please click on the image below for details about the opportunity and how to apply directly to Ray & Associates at www.rayassoc.com.
This job posting is now closed.
Updated Search Timeline, Process and Survey Results
Posted February 12, 2021
At the February 11 School Board meeting, the Board provided an update on the superintendent search process and timeline. Additionally, consultants from Ray & Associates summarized results of the survey that solicited input from the community members, staff, students and the Board on characteristics desired in an ideal candidate.
Updated timeline and next steps:
- 1/20/21 – School Board votes to work with Ray & Assoc.
- 1/26 – Board approved job posting
- 1/27 – Position profile posted on website, advertised on state/national recruiting sites
- 1/27-2/8 – Community/Staff survey
- 2/11 – School Board meeting update and review of survey results
- 3/1 – Position closes
- 3/2-17 – Ray & Assoc. to review applications and screen candidates
- 3/18 – Board meets in executive session to review candidate information
- Week of 3/22 – First round of interviews with top candidates
- Week of 3/29 – Interviews & Town Hall with finalists
Selection Process Overview:
The School Board plans to use a process similar to that used by our district in 2018, to hire Dr. Manahan. During the first round of interviews the week of March 22, the Board will interview top candidates in executive session, while a group of approximately 16 stakeholders are invited to observe for at least two full days of meetings. Observers will be selected by their groups and represent SVEA, SVASA, PSE, Administrative Cabinet, Principals, Administrative assistants, PTSA, students, and 5 parents (selected by lottery). Taking into consideration feedback from the observers, as well as references and background checks from Ray & Associates, the Board will narrow the pool of top candidates to determine which candidates will advance to second round of interviews as finalists.
Finalist interviews, targeted for the week of March 29, will include Town Hall-type public meetings, a meet and greet opportunity with administration, and additional Board interviews. Ultimately, the School Board will make the final hiring decision during a public School Board meeting. (For more information, see the Superintendent Search Process Update, presented 2/11/21.)
For the responses that emerged as the key candidate characteristics and experiences valued by our Board and community, click here: Summary of Survey Results, presented by Ray & Associates.
SVSD Superintendent Search Process and Community/Staff Survey
Posted January 27, 2021
The search and selection process to hire the next superintendent for the Snoqualmie Valley School District has begun, following Superintendent Rob Manahan’s announcement regarding his plans to retire at the end of the school year. The School Board is partnering with a national education search firm, Ray & Associates, to conduct a broad and thorough selection process, to name the next SVSD superintendent.
Community/Staff Engagement: The Board recognizes that selecting a superintendent is one of its most important functions. Therefore, they are interested in gaining input from constituents and staff before selecting that individual. To begin, SVSD staff, students, parents and community members are invited share feedback through a survey (below). The survey will help define the desired selection criteria for identifying an ideal candidate to match the needs and values of our district. The interview process will include input from staff, students, administrators and parents; and, there will be opportunities to meet the finalists later this spring. Ultimately, the School Board makes the final decision on hiring the next superintendent of Snoqualmie Valley School District, who will begin July 1, 2021.
Click here to take the brief survey - to prioritize desired leadership qualities, expertise and experiences that matter most to you in a superintendent. (Survey closed February 8.)
- January 26 – School Board approves flyer to advertise opportunity.
- January 27 – Position opens.
- January 27 – February 8 – Online survey (staff/students/parents/community)
- February 11 – Board to review stakeholder survey results, prioritize selection criteria
- March 1 – Position closes. Deadline for applications.
More details to come on the timeline and selection process, with interviews currently targeted to begin mid- to late-March.