What is the High School Online Program?
Snoqualmie Valley School District offers a variety of online education options for high school students. The Mount Si High School (and Two Rivers) Online Program has partnered with Fueleducation and Pearson Online to offer a fully-accredited program, approved by OSPI, that allows students to take one or more high school classes online and graduate with a Mount Si High School or Two Rivers diploma. (Current list of offered courses upper right.)
The MSHS/TRS Online Programs are designed for high school students who are interested in taking one or more classes online per semester, part time or full time, starting with one course and taking a maximum of three at a time. Audio recording is available in Online Learning Lab.Blended Schedule options - a limited number of seats are available each period of the day for students to take a course during the day at Mount Si or Two Rivers. Priority is given to students wanting to take a course not offered in our schools, or needing to take a class needed to fulfill a graduation requirement, but can't fit the course into their daily schedule.Credit Recovery options are available for $300 per semester class and are taken at home.
Credit Enhancement options are also available for $375 per semester class above seven classes. This is a course taken in addition to a student's regular 7 period day and is taken at home.
Why should I consider taking classes from the High School Online Learning Program?
Who may enroll in online learning?
- Flexible Schedule: Learn when it’s convenient for you. Begin your studies--anytime, anywhere.
- Maximize Your Time and Set Your Own Pace: Each semester course is designed to take 90 hours of coursework, and you can progress faster or slower as your ambitions and learning needs dictate. No more scrambling to catch up with the rest of the class or feeling frustrated because you were ready to move forward. Students can expect to spend at least 5 hours per course per week.
- Get help when you need it: Your online teacher is available during the day (generally 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM or later) by phone or email to help you be successful.
- A local mentor you can come to for help: Both Mount Si High and Two Rivers High have an onsite "mentor" that serves as your advocate, stays up-to-date on student progress and reaches out to online students and their parents if a student is struggling or not making progress. The mentors also serve as test proctors to ensure program integrity.
- A record of success: Our students have a much higher success rate than most online programs because of our unique model that involves the student and their family, the school counselor, the program coordinator, AND our caring, local mentors.
Any self-motivated high school student may enroll in online learning on a space available basis for one course at school and a maximum of three taken at home. Organization and time-management are just two of the essential skills necessary for this independent learning environment. The others can be found in the Student Self Assessment which you will be asked to complete as a part of the enrollment process to assess your motivations and strengths towards becoming a successful online learner.
How do I get started?
Current Mount Si students or students new to the district can make an appointment with their counselor to complete a Online Enrollment Form. Appointments can be made by contacting the Counseling Office secretary at 425-831-8150 or contact your guidance counselor directly. Current Two Rivers students can make an appointment with Mrs. Schmidt to complete a Online Enrollment Form. Transfer students coming from other alternative learning environments (home school, alternative school, and/or online) will need to meet with the Mount Si High School principal if they will be taking any Mount Si classes in addition to online classes. Upon meeting with your counselor and completing the referral form, contact Online Learning Program Secretary, Bev Weller, to schedule an online learning orientation meeting.How does it work?
Both Fueleducation and Pearson Online provide accredited curriculum, Washington State Highly-qualified teachers and instruction for online students. Many students find success taking one class as part of their 7 period day. At home students may take up to three courses at a time and may fast track, taking up to six per semester (see mentor for details), to complete 6 full credits a year (12 classes) and this will allow a student to earn a high school diploma in four years, provided they work with their online teachers and local mentor and adhere to the following responsibilities outlined in the MSHS Online Learning Agreement. Please take a few minutes to review the informational presentation (PDF)
- Login daily and make acceptable progress toward course completion. This means completing an agreed upon percentage of each course every week to stay on track or make progress as determined by the written student learning plan.
- Communicate once a week in person or by phone or email with the online learning coordinator or mentor.
- Schedule time with the online learning coordinator to come in and take one unit test and the final assessment for each course. Transportation to Mount Si High School for testing or conferencing is the student’s responsibility.
- Pass required state assessments, including CBAs, CBPAs, HSPE, and mathematics course-end exams. Satisfactory completion of all Snoqualmie Valley School District credit requirements, including the High School and Beyond Culminating Project, and any additional state requirements, will earn online students a Mount Si High School or Two Rivers diploma as well as allow participation in the commencement ceremony if desired.
Please contact the MSHS Online Learning Program Secretary, Bev Weller (425-831-4217) for more information.